MY 2017 TESTIMONY :MITCHELL MUNYARADZI GUMBO | If you remember last week we wrote a story about an Accident that happened before mvuma.


I didn’t share this with the public as soon as I got wind of the tragedy because I felt that grieving parties needed time to grieve and thus my testimony would have come off as gloating. On Sunday 1 January 2017 I left Goodwood, Cape Town for Roadport, Harare. Since I was not flying I didn’t update you all LOL.

The Sprinter in the picture was my bus. It broke down for 9 hours in Bloemfontein and was fixed and near Louis Tritchard, it blew the computer box and we waited for 6 hours for Mercedes Polokwane to fix the damage.

The final straw for me was when it broke down at around 10 pm on the 3rd of January in Messina. I had to be stamped out of South Africa before 12 that day lest I became an illegal immigrant. So with the Sprinter broken down, I hopped onto another bus and got to the border to stamp out my passport. I waited patiently for the Sprinter but to no avail.

What I saw however were two conductors from the bus just walking about and I asked them “Kasi ma sorta bus?” to which they replied “Maya, we are here to cross over into Zim cause we wanna take an auto-electrician in Beitbridge so that he fixes the bus.”

That was around 1 am . Guys at that time I just felt I have to go home. Told the guys,”Maboss am crossing into Zim and will catch another bus to Harare, my luggage ndozoitora hangu ku Harare” . One of the guys akatoti “Tinosimuka soon, save your cash. Auto akauya ibasa raanorova in two mins totofamba”. I was adamant and said ndakubaya.

I got into a new bus and got to Harare. I apped the driver kuti “Left my things in your bus, mukusvika rinhi so that I collect”. He replied “10 pm”. That was the last I spoke navo.

The following day I went to Roadport for my stuff. When I got to the offices of the Sprinter, I could tell something was wrong because people were crying and the mood was just sombre. When I asked what was going on, I was told of a most heart rending tragedy.

The Sprinter supposed to arrive in Harare at 10pm never went past Mvuma. It was involved in a fatal head on collision with an Urban Connect bus and killed 5 passengers on the spot and injured many others. I am not being dramatic or fatalistic but I was seated on the second row of seats and I am certain a head on collision would have killed me or maimed me badly.

I am not more righteous than those who perished or got injured but I just believe that thing that caused me to just wanna go home, that thing that caused me to disregard the $20 I had to pay from the border to Harare was God’s way of making me see another day.





Leave a Comment